CAMERON’S Cosmic Cream Ale French Onion Soup
Yield: 4 servings
- 6 tbs butter
- 2 lb sweet white onion, sliced into ¼ inch rings
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups Camerons’s Cosmic Cream Ale
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of thyme
- ½ tsp fresh cracker black pepper
- 4 slices French bread, toasted or premium bakery croutons
- 8 ounces shredded or sliced Gruyère cheese (about 2 1/2 cups)
- In a large pot over medium high heat melt the butter. Add the onions, brown sugar and salt, allow to simmer over low to medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are a dark golden brown, at least 20 minutes and up to 45 mins (the longer onions cook the more flavor develops).
- Add ½ cup beer, simmer until the beer is reduced and the pan is almost dry.
- Add the remaining ingredients ( beer, beef & veggie stock , mustard, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup,thyme and black pepper.) Simmer for ten minutes.
- Pre heat the broiler on your oven.
- Ladle soup into bowls, top with slices of French bread toast and then cheese.
- Broil until the cheese has melted.